Monday, August 21, 2017
Thursday, August 17, 2017
Weekly Newsletter for Parents, Staff and StudentsAugust 17-23, 2017
WELCOME TO ALL!
(Leer en Español usar el traductor de Google aquí.)
Every Thursday while school is in session, you'll receive this DCIS Connect newsletter in your email inbox to keep you up to date on all the events and happenings at our school. It's also available on the DCIS Connect app, which you can download at the Apple Store or Google Play.
If you don't wish to receive the newsletter, click the Unsubscribe link at the end. If you're receiving multiple copies of the newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the problem; be sure to indicate your first and last name and preferred email address so we can update our records.
Newsletter submissions are due by 10 am on the Tuesday preceding the issue date. Email submissions to email@example.com.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK ...
- First Day of School: Monday, Aug. 21
- School Beautification Tours: Friday, Aug. 25, 8 am, noon, 3 pm, 6 pm
- PTSA Back-to-School Taco Night/Social: Friday, Aug. 25, 3-5 pm, MOVIE for students in the auditorium; 5-7:30 pm, TACOS! (plus chili and dessert competitions)
- Cultural Enrichment and Inclusion Team Meeting: Friday, Aug. 25, 7-7:30 pm, meet at benches by east entrance to DCIS
MARK YOUR CALENDARS ...
- Labor Day — NO SCHOOL: Monday, Sept. 4
- Parent-Principal Coffee: Wednesday, Sept. 6 (English), 8:15–9:15 am; Thursday, Sept. 7, 8:45–9:45 am (Espanol)
- Back-to-School Night: Thursday, Sept. 14, 6-7:30 pm
- Regional Parent Socials: Sunday, Sept. 10 (Northwest); Sunday, Sept. 17 (Northeast); Thursday, Sept. 28 (Southeast); TBD (Southwest)
- Parent Social — Santa Fe Art Walk: Friday, Oct. 6, 6-8 pm, meet at Alliance Française de Denver, 571 Galapago St., Denver
Friday, Aug. 25
3–5 pm Movie in the auditorium for students
5–7:30 pm Tacos for the whole family!
Enter the optional Homemade Chili and Dessert Competition. Bring a pot of your best chili and/or dessert by 5:45 pm to be judged by the DCIS community. Winners of the challenge will not only earn bragging rights, but will win a trophy to be displayed in the school trophy case!
Coming to Taco Night? If you haven't already, please take a minute right now to RSVP here (or at dcis.dpsk12.org). We need to know how much food to prepare, and your RSVP will be a big help.
Financial donations at the event will be appreciated to help with the cost of food.
Hope to see you there!!
LETTER FROM THE PRINCIPAL ...
Dear DCIS Parents,
We are so excited to welcome your children to the 2017-18 school year! We have been busy making plans, strengthening schoolwide systems and planning engaging lessons for your students all week. We can hardly wait until Monday!
As if the first day of school weren't exciting enough, the near-total solar eclipse is happening the same day. Given the significance of such a rare scientific event, we have arranged to have the entire school experience the eclipse safely. At 11:26 am students will go to their advisement classes, where they will receive instructions about viewing safety and a pair of official eclipse viewing glasses that our awesome Science Department had the foresight to order for the entire school, way back in May. Students will spend 30 minutes on the field with their advisement classes and then break for lunch. Students who wish to continue viewing the eclipse during lunch may do so, but we will continue to require that they wear the viewing glasses.
You will receive more information later this week about out eclipse viewing plan. Wishing you and your students a great "last week of summer" before the first day of school on Monday.
Looking to potentially carpool this school year? We're working on a more long-term solution with a third-party service, which we ideally can implement in the near future. In the meantime, if you're interested in carpooling, please complete the questionnaire found here, and we'll try to match you with others in your area who are also interested in carpooling.
EXCHANGE OPPORTUNITIES ...
Adolesco Youth Exchange is a flexible and affordable nonprofit program that facilitates short-term family-to-family exchanges to France, Germany and Spain for qualifying U.S. students ages 9–18. Applications are due by Tuesday, Oct. 31. Start by submitting the free pre-application (available here). Find upcoming informational events in your area here. Sign up for the Adolesco newsletter here. Contact Marie Meyer, Exchange Coordinator, at 303-913-4845 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
PARENT SOCIALS ...
The PTSA is trying something new this year! Since DCIS families are spread all over the Denver metro region, we thought it would be nice to give DCIS parents a chance to get to know their neighbors at regional small-group socials at various parents' houses. Please join us on one of the following evenings:
- Northwest: Sunday, Sept. 10, 6–8 pm, Edmond Horsey's home, 4540 Raleigh St., Denver. Please call/text 303-641-4146 or email email@example.com to RSVP.
- Northeast: Sunday, Sept. 17, 6–8 pm, Karen Mortimer's home, 2949 Lafayette St., Denver. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call/text 303-910-6698.
- Southeast: Thursday, Sept. 28, 6–8 pm, Terri Porter's home, 117 S. Lincoln St., Denver. Please email email@example.com, or call/text 303-656-8123.
- Southwest: TBD
CONNECT ...DCIS Website
DCIS Facebook Page
DCIS Parents Group (closed, non-school-sanctioned) on Facebook
DCIS Drama Club Facebook
DCIS Travel Center Facebook
DCIS Foundation Facebook
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. Please send questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2017 DCIS Connect Newsletter, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email newsletter because you are a member of the DCIS community. If you do not wish to receive the newsletter, please click the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, by you is strictly prohibited.
Thursday, May 18, 2017